Web lists-archives.com

Re: Thoughts on Brave Browser?

On 04/12/2018 12:59 AM, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on 4/11/2018
2:49 PM:
On 4/11/18 4:33 PM, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what johnasterlingco@xxxxxxxxx graced
us with on 4/11/2018 12:35 PM:
I'd like to know what Mozilla leaders thinks of the Brave Software
Inc Brave Browser. It's ad block by default with using blockchain
tech to pay websites and cleanup ads is a pretty awesome idea.  I
have some concerns with their ability to monopolize if they are
successful. I know that Brendan Eich was a higher up in Mozilla a few
years back, I know there could be some hard feelings... but I'm
hoping to find some good discussions about the merits of what Brave
is doing and what Mozilla is doing. I'm considering which (or both)
to continue to support (by telling friends, donations and possibly
coding).

If you aren't familiar with the Brave Browser, here is a summary
along with a few of my concerns:

Brave addresses the ad issue on the web:
* Content providers aren’t getting enough money, meaning we (users)
are losing content (nothing is free)
* Fraud – something like 7 billion dollars per year lost to fraud and
not paying for your content or apps
* Malware – ex. Ads doing bitcoin mining in the background
* Horribly distracting – especially auto-start video ads
* Takes time for you device to download and display ads on each page

Brave browser:
* simplifies the ad system be removing middle players and providing
much more security
* Allows micropayments instead of advertising if users choose to do so
* might be setting itself up to be a monopoly – I worry about that a lot
* Brave Software Inc is a privately held company, I don’t like the
idea of doing open source work that makes a private company money…
but the cause they are supporting still seems worthwhile.  I wish
they were non-profit.

Good summaries:
https://www.brave.com/how-to-fix-the-web/
https://hackernoon.com/why-im-bullish-on-bat-and-the-brave-browser-in-2018-8e2cbc0ce420

If they provided the tab functionality of TMP, then I'd switch in a
heartbeat; otherwise, I'll stick with Fx52.xESR for as long as I can.

Have you tried Vivaldi?

https://vivaldi.com/features/

Thanks, Walt. Honestly, I haven't tried any of the one based on the
webKit engine and probably won't until forced to after 52ESR is
de-supported. However, looking over that link, it doesn't appear offer
anywhere near what I use TMP for, such as:

- Force to open in new tab
- Open duplicate tabs next to original
- Open all sources (bookmarks, URLbar, search bar, &c) in tabs
- Enable upto 99 undo closed tabs
etc <- to name a few

Basilisk can use TMP.
https://www.basilisk-browser.org/