Thoughts on Brave Browser?
I'd like to know what Mozilla leaders thinks of the Brave Software Inc Brave Browser. It's ad block by default with using blockchain tech to pay websites and cleanup ads is a pretty awesome idea. I have some concerns with their ability to monopolize if they are successful. I know that Brendan Eich was a higher up in Mozilla a few years back, I know there could be some hard feelings... but I'm hoping to find some good discussions about the merits of what Brave is doing and what Mozilla is doing. I'm considering which (or both) to continue to support (by telling friends, donations and possibly coding).
If you aren't familiar with the Brave Browser, here is a summary along with a few of my concerns:
Brave addresses the ad issue on the web:
* Content providers aren’t getting enough money, meaning we (users) are losing content (nothing is free)
* Fraud – something like 7 billion dollars per year lost to fraud and not paying for your content or apps
* Malware – ex. Ads doing bitcoin mining in the background
* Horribly distracting – especially auto-start video ads
* Takes time for you device to download and display ads on each page
* simplifies the ad system be removing middle players and providing much more security
* Allows micropayments instead of advertising if users choose to do so
* might be setting itself up to be a monopoly – I worry about that a lot
* Brave Software Inc is a privately held company, I don’t like the idea of doing open source work that makes a private company money… but the cause they are supporting still seems worthwhile. I wish they were non-profit.
general mailing list