Web lists-archives.com

Re: New external drive

My bloviated meandering follows what Wolf K graced us with on 3/14/2018 5:04 PM:
I'm looking for another external drive or two. My usual source has both Seagate/Lacie and Western Digital. It looks like 1 or 2TB are the smallest ones these days.

Lacie prices are double Seagate models of same capacity - is Lacie the better quality version of Seagate?

Western Digital models are generally in same price range as Seagate.

Or should I look at other brands? I'm willing to spend up to about $100/terabyte for greater reliability.

All advice and recommendations gratefully received and carefully considered.

What are your system specs? If it support USB3 then either WD or Seagate are good choices. I have two WD Passport 2TB portable drives which I use for full clone weekly backup purposes, alternating weekly. Which both WD and Seagate come with DiscWizard (a slimmed-down Acronis), I use the free backup program Reflect (http://download.cnet.com/Macrium-Reflect-Free/3000-2242_4-10845728.html) since it does a clone backup up the system without having to reboot the system in monitor mode.

I've tested booting from the backup'd drive and it worked splendidly.

YMMV

--
Sailfish