Web lists-archives.com

Re: OT: New external drive

Am 15.03.2018 um 18:41 schrieb Tanstaafl:
On Thu Mar 15 2018 12:41:39 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Good Guy
<hello.world@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have found that anything less than 1TB for a C drive is completely
waste of time and money.

Not everyone has the same needs...

I bought a brand new machine that came with 256GB SSD and 2TB normal
HD and after installing VS2010, 2013, 2015, 2017, MS Office 365, SQL
Servers 2012 and 2016/7 the drive was full and unusable!!.
Yet a 256GB SSD is more than enough for a large number of people - I'd
say more than 50%.

You needed a bigger one for your needs, that is all.

I chose to install the main packages on D drive (the 2TB
Normal drive!!) but still Windows needs C drive to copy some files and
all I could do was to reformat everything and start again.  Now the SSD
drive is just for documents which I don't have many as I use Microsoft
Azure Cloud Based storage.

SSDs are best used for the system drive, as that is where the speed
advantages really shine (boot/OS load times, program startup times, etc).

I don't see any benefits of a SSD drive;

Then you aren't looking at it correctly.

In fact they are relatively expensive than normal SATA drives

Yes, a bit more still, but well worth the money when implemented properly.

which are still as fast as anything because of the current
technologies we use

Ummm, no, a basic/cheapo SSD will be dramatically faster than even a
10,000rpm spinning rust drive.

Perhaps in future when prices becomes competitive and SSDs become
common than it is a different matter for now don't waste your money
on that crap unless somebody gives you a free drive for them to
market their product.
Crap? Please. Upgrading an aging laptop to an SSD has saved numerous
people I know from the expense of buying a new computer, with the added
advantage they can migrate the SSD to a new computer later if they do
ever decide to upgrade (or the old computer dies).

And they are competitive now, considering the bang for the buck, and
prices continue to come down over time.

+1