Web lists-archives.com

Re: Goodbye FireFox

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 13:55:45 -1000, Desiree <melelina@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>On 2/11/2018 4:10 AM, FredW wrote:
>> On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 11:01:35 +0100, PietB
>> <www.godfatherof.nl/@opt-in.invalid> wrote:

>>>Because it's EN-only. At least there's not the slightest sign
>>>of language packs on their site.
>>

>> Basilisk is development software and should be considered more or less
>> "beta" at all times.
>> https://www.basilisk-browser.org/
>>

>> I suppose it will be a successor to Palemoon.
>> I expect language packs will be forthcoming like in Palemoon.
>> https://addons.palemoon.org/language-packs/
>>
>That's what I thought.  But I had slacked off on reading the Pale Moon
>forums because I got a new computer and have been spending time setting
>it up.  Anyhow, to my great disappointment I learned last evening that
>Basilisk will soon be forked off Fx 52 ESR NOT Fx 55 as presently.  That
>means WE extensions will not work on Basilisk in the future.  Pale Moon
>plans to kill access to Addons site in early May although since Mozilla
>has moved the date for the end of support for Fx 52.x ESR to August 28,
>they might revise that date.
>
>I'm really disappointed as I love Basilisk and since many of my
>extensions (XUL) have been abandoned and existing versions have kill
>switches, I have found a few WE extensions that are ok substitutes.  So,
>if Basilisk drops the ability for us to use WE extensions as well as
>XUL, I don't know what I will do (as Pale Moon's own XUL extensions are
>meager and XUL Addons developers don't seem inclined to write for them).
>  Plus, with the move for Pale Moon to wall it off from existing Addons
>site because Mozilla will eventually purge XUL extensions (and Pale Moon
>will never use WE extensions), I don't see Pale Moon as viable for me.
>I still use version 26x because 27 cannot use most of my XUL extensions
>but Basilisk can!  Pale Moon is killing ver 26x in May.  Basilsk was my
>answer (even if perpetually in beta Pale Moon is scheduled to be brought
>onto the platform so it was also a possible answer in the future) but
>now with Basilisk forking off Fx 52 in the future...well.....

I have downloaded all my (not so many) add-ons as *.xpi files,
so in future I can apply these add-ons even if they are no longer
available somewhere.

And I have now downloaded and installed
- Classic Add-ons Archive 1.1.0
https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive/

About:
This catalog contains 75,687 versions of 16,706 Firefox add-ons created
by 12,538 developers over the past 14 years using XUL/XPCOM technology
before Mozilla decided to ruin the classic extensions ecosystem and go
exclusively to WebExtensions.

I already found an old add-on that replaced a no longer functioning new
add-on.

 ;-)

--
Fred W. (nld)