Web lists-archives.com

Re: Goodbye FireFox

On 2/11/2018 4:10 AM, FredW wrote:
On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 11:01:35 +0100, PietB
<www.godfatherof.nl/@opt-in.invalid> wrote:

Desiree wrote:
Why not Basilisk?

Because it's EN-only. At least there's not the slightest sign
of language packs on their site.

Basilisk is development software and should be considered more or less
"beta" at all times.
https://www.basilisk-browser.org/

I suppose it will be a successor to Palemoon.
I expect language packs will be forthcoming like in Palemoon.
https://addons.palemoon.org/language-packs/

That's what I thought. But I had slacked off on reading the Pale Moon forums because I got a new computer and have been spending time setting it up. Anyhow, to my great disappointment I learned last evening that Basilisk will soon be forked off Fx 52 ESR NOT Fx 55 as presently. That means WE extensions will not work on Basilisk in the future. Pale Moon plans to kill access to Addons site in early May although since Mozilla has moved the date for the end of support for Fx 52.x ESR to August 28, they might revise that date.

I'm really disappointed as I love Basilisk and since many of my extensions (XUL) have been abandoned and existing versions have kill switches, I have found a few WE extensions that are ok substitutes. So, if Basilisk drops the ability for us to use WE extensions as well as XUL, I don't know what I will do (as Pale Moon's own XUL extensions are meager and XUL Addons developers don't seem inclined to write for them). Plus, with the move for Pale Moon to wall it off from existing Addons site because Mozilla will eventually purge XUL extensions (and Pale Moon will never use WE extensions), I don't see Pale Moon as viable for me. I still use version 26x because 27 cannot use most of my XUL extensions but Basilisk can! Pale Moon is killing ver 26x in May. Basilsk was my answer (even if perpetually in beta Pale Moon is scheduled to be brought onto the platform so it was also a possible answer in the future) but now with Basilisk forking off Fx 52 in the future...well.....