Web lists-archives.com

Re: Firefox is becoming a bloated piece of ram eating software

On 02/08/2018 02:00 AM, Lucifer Morningstar wrote:
On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 09:36:19 -0700, Jeff Barnett <jbbrus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Desiree wrote on 7/2/2018 1:17 AM:
On 6/2/2018 9:02 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
On 6/2/18 1:38 PM, pierre.courtois@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Before I start I'd like to say I use firefox exclusively over all
other browser. I've been using since it was put into production. It
speed and the capability to use adons was a big plus in making it a
"safer" alternative to the opposition.

But as time goes on it became more and more of a memory and resource
hog. And now since the last few updates it became even worse. It
spawn many individuals processes in task manager, you can't keep it
on for more than a couple days at a time before it slow the whole
system to a crawl. So much so that when it does slow to a crawl I
usually kill the processes manually, which you made tedious to do
with so many processes.

Come on devs, get a grip and make it back like it was, a fast
reliable alternative to everything else out there, not this slow,
bloated piece of software that can barely run for more than a couple
days without a restart. Frankly, I'm getting tired of it and
seriously looking at alternative because the joy of using something
nice to use is getting

Don't forget to place some blame on the extension developers whose
extensions leak memory. Come on devs, get a grip and plug the memory
leaks in your extensions.

Now, why do you need to keep Firefox on for days?

I like to sleep occasionally, usually every night, quit all
applications, shutdown the computer, turn off the lights and save money
on my utility bill.

What does sleeping have to do with leaving a browser running 24/7/365? I
have two desktops and live in a climate where it is a necessity to run
them 24/7/365 if I want them to last 5 years.  I generally have several
browsers open 24/7.  I have no need to drag a computer around with me
outside my home (besides I dislike laptops) so this closing a browser
that has 200 tabs open in it because I have a laptop is irrelevant to
me.  The devs though, just like Microsoft, believe the desktop is dead
and code only for mobile devices.  It is very difficult nowdays to find
a great browser, or even just a good one, for the desktop.

I also hate browsers that wall off each tab so you have a zillion of
them running in Task Manager if you have 100 tabs open in each browser!
I don't care if a "bad" tab crashes the browser.  I rarely have a
browser crash for any reason.  My default browser now is Basilisk but it
eats lots of RAM and I can't keep it open for days/weeks either.  At
least it doesn't clutter my Task Manager as it doesn't wall off each tab
and for that alone I will have it as my default browser.

You can set the max number of CPU's that will be spawned for tabs in the
latest 64 bit FF versions.

Pity you can't do anything useful with the latest version.

Like what?

--
Caver1