Web lists-archives.com

Re: Mozilla is evil!

Tanstaafl wrote:
On Mon Jan 22 2018 23:24:31 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), Lucifer
Morningstar <not@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Like many others I had to revert back to 56 and set it
to never update since 57 is mostly unusable.

Unusable because the change of UI and extension API, or that you found 57 to not work well for you? If the latter, that's something that happens to some number of people with nearly update -- however, my experience is that problems following upgrades are nearly always related to the individual user profile (i.e., a data problem) than any thing more general to Firefox. Personally, I maintain a separate user profile that is almost entirely default settings, and if I'm having problems, I will restart Firefox with that profile. I can't remember a time when checking things with that profile has had problems.

Please stop with the scare mongering. It isn't unusable, but it does no
longer support legacy Addons, but this has been well publicized.

It may be unusable for the OP, but as noted, very likely a problem with the individual profile.

Why do Mozilla want people to run a flawed version of Firefox?

It isn't flawed, it is introducing brand new technology, and dropped
support for much older (some say ancient) technology.

And as much as we might wish otherwise, technology doesn't stand still. There may be some place for "if it ain't broke, don't mess with it", but in a competitive environment, sometimes it's "change or die". A lot has been made of how much Mozilla may be chasing after Google, but the fact of the matter is that for a majority of users Chrome has become the normal browser, and Chrome's market share of users is where Internet Explorer was, only a few years ago. Firefox has a lot going for it, but not enough where it's going to be compelling to convince very many people to abandon Chrome. And the market share is small enough to be bordering on insignificant. I don't like that either, but that's the reality.

I for one am not happy about the loss of many of my Addons, and think
that Mozilla has made some very poor decision with respect to what APIs
they will (and will not) provide, thus sending a death knell to certain
Addons (Classic Theme Restorer, Status-4-Evar, Tab Mix Plus, etc).

Agreed. I'm disappointed with loss of other extensions. However, ESR is still an option (at least for another few months), as are other forks, including Seamonkey, Palemoon, Cyberfox, etc.

On the other hand, it is much faster, and I was surprised to find that I
actually didn't need to do as much customizing to get it to look the way
I want as I feared, so am hopeful that things will only get better.

I've noticed the same thing -- both speed, and that tuning of appearance and behavior aren't as much as I had feared. I've been running betas in a virtual machine, and I have a testing profile that I configured in FF 56, with all my preferred extensions. The beta allowed me to test a bare installation of FF57 before release, and when I upgraded the testing profile, it allowed me to track what extensions stopped working.

As a general thing, it's not a good idea to get too wedded to any specific extension. Although there's definitely extensions that are unique, I've found that over the years, there's often multiple extensions that have similar function. Thus, if one dies, there is often a way of finding another extension as a replacement, even if the look-and-feel are different, and don't have the comfort or familiarity that I prefer. For me, using Seamonkey as my primary browser, I do have the luxury of keeping the Firefox updates at arm's length, but I've found that my primary Firefox profile has most of the functionality of what I do with Seamonkey or Firefox prior to upgrade to v 57.

Smith