Web lists-archives.com

Re: The Many Faces (And Names) of Mozilla

On 01/22/2018 07:26 AM, Wolf K wrote:
On 2018-01-22 03:39, Ed Mullen wrote:
On 1/22/2018 at 3:19 AM, Daniel created this epitome of digital genius:
Wolf K wrote:

<Snip>

People who kvetch about browsers should be forced to go back to
pre-browser times, just to get an idea of how good they have it.

For me it's people who bitch about how slow their current-day
computers are!! Try an 8086 CPU with a 4.7 MHz (yes, MHz) clock!! Or
an Apple IIE clone!

Switch on your computer, go make yourself a cup of Tea and then go out
to Dinner and come back and the computer might have booted ... well,
almost!! ;-)

Well, let's go more extreme.  When, if you wanted to look something up
you had to (gasp!) go to a library! Or, if you were lucky enough to have
a current encyclopedia in your house, open a big book and search for it.

I must admit, there is something comforting about holding a book in
one's lap and flipping through the pages.  Almost as if your very
existence is validated by the connection to the written word.

And, your original thought, your quest, well, there it is, found!

Which is great.  Until you look at the copyright date of the tome and
it's 1957.  Oh.  Oops!

Although, it might still be valid.  And if not, it could be historically
interesting.

Or we could just Google it.

Sigh.  And here we are.

The problem with online searches is that people forget that somebody had
to decide to put it up, and more importantly, also decided how to format
it. This is specially so with statistics, which too often give you
tables or graphs of percentage changes without the base data. That can
be very misleading. Eg, 50% of 100 is much less than 1% of 100,000.

While people know that Google puts up the most popular results first,
that doesn't affect their behaviour much (over 90% of searchers do not
go past the first page). And while there is a lot of data available,
there's also a lot more that's not available.

I find that a paper-book search is often quicker than a google search.
Even Wikipedia searches don't yield the data I want about 20-30% of the
time. Either no article, or buried in several article. My ancient
paper-pedias OTOH

Nevertheless, I do a lot of online searching.

I miss the library's card catalog. Back when I used to have to write papers you could browse to find more references to the subject of interest. At least I think that's the way it worked, but that was a long time ago. I LIKED rummaging through the drawers.

Doing the same thing via the library's website is way more convenient: Look for a book; ask that it be sent to the library up the street from wherever it is now; or perhaps ask that it be sent from a distant library; or perhaps even ask the library to BUY a copy -- which they might do if you make a good enough argument.

The card catalog was still there last time I went to the main branch several years ago, but maybe now it's part of the Big Bang Theory set -- or maybe that's the catalog from one of the branch libraries.

Incidentally, they frequently use real Pasadena settings, although the view out of their apartment window is impossible and is certainly not located on Los Robles. The views out the car windows look familiar (I've lived here for 56 years) but I've only been able to identify ONE -- where they parked once. I did find the building on the roof of which Bernadette and Howard were married.

--
Cheers, Bev
   "Sure, everyone's in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when