Web lists-archives.com

Re: The Many Faces (And Names) of Mozilla

On 2018-01-22 03:39, Ed Mullen wrote:
On 1/22/2018 at 3:19 AM, Daniel created this epitome of digital genius:
Wolf K wrote:

<Snip>

People who kvetch about browsers should be forced to go back to pre-browser times, just to get an idea of how good they have it.

For me it's people who bitch about how slow their current-day computers are!! Try an 8086 CPU with a 4.7 MHz (yes, MHz) clock!! Or an Apple IIE clone!

Switch on your computer, go make yourself a cup of Tea and then go out to Dinner and come back and the computer might have booted ... well, almost!! ;-)

Well, let's go more extreme.  When, if you wanted to look something up you had to (gasp!) go to a library! Or, if you were lucky enough to have a current encyclopedia in your house, open a big book and search for it.

I must admit, there is something comforting about holding a book in one's lap and flipping through the pages.  Almost as if your very existence is validated by the connection to the written word.

And, your original thought, your quest, well, there it is, found!

Which is great.  Until you look at the copyright date of the tome and it's 1957.  Oh.  Oops!

Although, it might still be valid.  And if not, it could be historically interesting.

Or we could just Google it.

Sigh.  And here we are.

The problem with online searches is that people forget that somebody had to decide to put it up, and more importantly, also decided how to format it. This is specially so with statistics, which too often give you tables or graphs of percentage changes without the base data. That can be very misleading. Eg, 50% of 100 is much less than 1% of 100,000.

While people know that Google puts up the most popular results first, that doesn't affect their behaviour much (over 90% of searchers do not go past the first page). And while there is a lot of data available, there's also a lot more that's not available.

I find that a paper-book search is often quicker than a google search. Even Wikipedia searches don't yield the data I want about 20-30% of the time. Either no article, or buried in several article. My ancient paper-pedias OTOH

Nevertheless, I do a lot of online searching.

Sigh.

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com