Web lists-archives.com

Re: The Many Faces (And Names) of Mozilla

On 1/22/2018 at 3:19 AM, Daniel created this epitome of digital genius:
Wolf K wrote:

<Snip>

People who kvetch about browsers should be forced to go back to pre-browser times, just to get an idea of how good they have it.

For me it's people who bitch about how slow their current-day computers are!! Try an 8086 CPU with a 4.7 MHz (yes, MHz) clock!! Or an Apple IIE clone!

Switch on your computer, go make yourself a cup of Tea and then go out to Dinner and come back and the computer might have booted ... well, almost!! ;-)

Well, let's go more extreme. When, if you wanted to look something up you had to (gasp!) go to a library! Or, if you were lucky enough to have a current encyclopedia in your house, open a big book and search for it.

I must admit, there is something comforting about holding a book in one's lap and flipping through the pages. Almost as if your very existence is validated by the connection to the written word.

And, your original thought, your quest, well, there it is, found!

Which is great. Until you look at the copyright date of the tome and it's 1957. Oh. Oops!

Although, it might still be valid. And if not, it could be historically interesting.

Or we could just Google it.

Sigh.  And here we are.

--
Ed Mullen