Web lists-archives.com

Re: Chrome is turning into the new Internet Explorer 6

On 1/6/2018 2:02 PM, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what Michael Gordon graced us with on 1/6/2018 1:55 PM:
On 1/6/2018 12:48 PM, Sailfish wrote:
REF: https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/4/16805216/google-chrome-only-sites-internet-explorer-6-web-standards

[excerpt quote=\"
*Works best (or only) with Chrome*

Whether you blame Google or the often slow moving World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), the results have been particularly evident throughout 2017. Google has been at the center of a lot of “works best with Chrome” messages we’re starting to see appear on the web. Google Meet, Allo, YouTube TV, Google Earth, and YouTube Studio Beta all block Windows 10’s default browser, Microsoft Edge, from accessing them and they all point users to download Chrome instead. Google Meet, Google Earth, and YouTube TV are also not supported on Firefox with messages to download Chrome. Google has publicly promised to support Earth on Edge and Firefox, and the company is “working to bring YouTube TV to more browsers in the future.”
\" /]

Just another in a long string of reasons that I'll not make Chrome a default browser.

Sailfish,

Agreed with not making Chrome a default browser.

I thin there is a major defect in the FF browser where we select Real U A; in that selecting Chrome does not allow access to tv.youtube.

I've not tried tv.youtube nor Real UA but I suspect that Google may use other intrinsic means rather than UA string to detect that Chrome is not running. After all, if they've implemented Google-specific elements, how hard would it be for them to simply test to see if a Google-specific element exists?

Well, the only reason for installing Chrome was to reduce the monthly cost of cable TV,
hard wired with HDMI cable to the big screen TV saves me US$70.00 per month.

Michael G