Web lists-archives.com

Re: Kernel-memory-leaking Intel processor design flaw forces Linux, Windows redesign

On 5-1-2018 18:03, The Real Bev wrote:
On 01/05/2018 07:52 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
On 1/5/18 10:40 AM, Caver1 wrote:
On 01/05/2018 09:18 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
On 1/4/18 9:50 PM, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what Sailfish graced us with on
1/3/2018 6:57 PM:
My bloviated meandering follows what Sailfish graced us with on
1/3/2018 10:14 AM:
REF: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

[excerpt quote=\"
Crucially, these updates to both Linux and Windows will incur a
performance hit on Intel products. The effects are still being
benchmarked, however we're looking at a ballpark figure of five to
30 per cent slow down, depending on the task and the processor model.
\" /]

What a sucky way to start the new year! :-(

[excerpt quote=\"
We cautioned that many of the performance claims felt a bit
overblown, and in fact, testing with the patched Windows operating
systems emerged over the last few hours. Those preliminary tests
reveal that there is little to no performance regression in most
desktop workloads, with synthetic I/O tests inflating the issue.
\" /]
Fingers crossed, hoping the initial report was more fake-ish than

REF: https://meltdownattack.com/

[excerpt quote=\"
Meltdown and Spectre exploit critical vulnerabilities in modern
processors. These hardware bugs allow programs to steal data which is
currently processed on the computer. While programs are typically not
permitted to read data from other programs, a malicious program can
exploit Meltdown and Spectre to get hold of secrets stored in the
memory of other running programs. This might include your passwords
stored in a password manager or browser, your personal photos, emails,
instant messages and even business-critical documents.
\" /]

Yikes! That means they already got hold of my Fantasy Football

No worries here on Linux. My processor is an old AMD Athlon(tm) II X3
455 Processor × 3.

The bad news? You can never truly fix Spectre on existing hardware.
While you can fight against malware that leverages Spectre, it can
only be eliminated by redesigning the way modern processors work, and
that is very bad.

Pretty much every computer and device from the last 20 years is
susceptible to Spectre.

Well, I wouldn't buy a new Kohler connected to the Internet bathtub
then. :-D

Crap, my Kohler toilet ordered one and had it installed before I could
stop it.  What do I need to do?

general mailing list