Web lists-archives.com

Re: Kernel-memory-leaking Intel processor design flaw forces Linux, Windows redesign

My bloviated meandering follows what Sailfish graced us with on 1/3/2018 6:57 PM:
My bloviated meandering follows what Sailfish graced us with on 1/3/2018 10:14 AM:
REF: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

[excerpt quote=\"
Crucially, these updates to both Linux and Windows will incur a performance hit on Intel products. The effects are still being benchmarked, however we're looking at a ballpark figure of five to 30 per cent slow down, depending on the task and the processor model.
\" /]

What a sucky way to start the new year! :-(

REF: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-cpu-bug-amd-performance,36213.html

[excerpt quote=\"
We cautioned that many of the performance claims felt a bit overblown, and in fact, testing with the patched Windows operating systems emerged over the last few hours. Those preliminary tests reveal that there is little to no performance regression in most desktop workloads, with synthetic I/O tests inflating the issue.
\" /]
Fingers crossed, hoping the initial report was more fake-ish than truth-ish.

REF: https://meltdownattack.com/

[excerpt quote=\"
Meltdown and Spectre exploit critical vulnerabilities in modern processors. These hardware bugs allow programs to steal data which is currently processed on the computer. While programs are typically not permitted to read data from other programs, a malicious program can exploit Meltdown and Spectre to get hold of secrets stored in the memory of other running programs. This might include your passwords stored in a password manager or browser, your personal photos, emails, instant messages and even business-critical documents.
\" /]

Yikes! That means they already got hold of my Fantasy Football picks!!!!