Web lists-archives.com

Re: Kernel-memory-leaking Intel processor design flaw forces Linux, Windows redesign

Em 04-01-2018 15:59, WaltS48 escreveu:
On 1/4/18 12:18 PM, Caver1 wrote:
On 01/04/2018 11:50 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
On 1/4/18 10:59 AM, Caver1 wrote:
On 01/04/2018 10:46 AM, Ray_Net wrote:
Balaco ocalaB wrote on 03-01-18 19:20:
Em 03-01-2018 16:14, Sailfish escreveu:
REF: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

[excerpt quote=\"
Crucially, these updates to both Linux and Windows will incur a
performance hit on Intel products. The effects are still being
benchmarked, however we're looking at a ballpark figure of five
to 30
per cent slow down, depending on the task and the processor model.
\" /]

What a sucky way to start the new year! :-(

Mine is AMD! :D

You have a similar problem with AMD !!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/772161/failles-dans-les-processeurs-amd-et-arm-egalement-concernes.htm

Howto patch Spectre Vulnerability CVE-2017-5753/CVE-2017-5715 on Linux
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/patch-spectre-vulnerability-cve-2017-5753-cve-2017-5715-linux/

Thanks.

Shouldn't a security update be pushed through the Ubuntu update
repository?

Notice that for Ubuntu you use apt/apt-get which to my knowledge does
get it's updates from the Ubuntu repositories or/and any others you
have installed.

That's why I asked.

I get kernels updates without using apt-get.

I got a boatload of updates this morning.

There are some ways to get updates in "debianish" distros, like Ubuntu. However, if you do both, nothing strange or repeated will happen. What one does, the other does not repeat, unless, of course, if you do it in a way that forces to download again, compile again, or anything else that what you wanted should do.