Web lists-archives.com

Re: Firefox: ctrl opens like this, but I *always* want it like this other

Em 31-12-2017 21:00, Big Al escreveu:
On 12/31/2017 05:21 PM, Michael Gordon wrote:
On 12/31/2017 1:02 PM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:
Em 31-12-2017 18:29, Big Al escreveu:
On 12/31/2017 09:22 AM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:
Em 31-12-2017 07:56, Big Al escreveu:
On 12/30/2017 11:02 PM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:

Drag and drop the url is something I wouldn't normally try (or
do). I
will experiment it tomorrou, see how it goes...

You click and hold the very first part of the url bar.  There are all
sorts of icons there, not the http.. part.  As you drag it somewhere
you'll see some sort of indication where you are going to drop it
you let go of mouse.   It's a learned feature.

Accidental discovery: you can drag the tab itself to the favorite
menu! I was moving some tags when I accidentally left the mouse cursor
over the menu for a moment. The menu opened! After that, I tried to
drag it to bookmarks menu, it showed me a small line at the position
the bookmark will (I assume it will, but I did not complete that) be

Did you know that? Easier to "point" than those info icons near the
Do you use the sidebar?
I find that easy to use.

No. What side bar? How do I make it appear?

In my two main FF profiles, the only thing that appears in a side of
the window is the menu with more buttons I can add in the address
bar. The fav/hist/... window has a left part, similar to file
managers. But you seem to talk about a different thing.

Try this process:  At the top left of your browser look for File,
Edit, View, etc.
Left click once on "View" you will see a small menu open with some of
the following choices. Toolbars, Sidebar, Zoom, etc.
With the mouse hover over "Sidebar" and a Context Menu will open for
you to select a specific content.  Content like Bookmarks, or
History.  Left click on your choice and a sidebar will open on the
left side of the browser showing you the content of that selection.
This is supposed to be where you can drag and drop easily.

You can right click on the toolbar (where the url and other icons are)
and pick customize.  If you like the side bar you can add that icon to
the toolbar and make it easier to turn on/off.

The customize there was known. It is what I used to add the star (Edit Bookmark), which may add one if that is what "edit" means for a page. Only now I noted there is a *different* button right of that star. But they are always highlighted together! That is: when my mouse cursor is over the star, the other button is like if the cursor was over it too!

Look at their "shared focus":

That made me conclude (wrong!) that it was a fat button! In these last minutes, playing, I discovered:

1. The star hint is "edit bookmark (ctrl+d)", and I used it several times for this thread;

2. The button hint is "show your bookmarks (ctrl+shift+f)", but clicking of it is *not* the same as ctrl+shift+f! Clicking on it shows *exactly* the bookmarks menu I have in the menu bar! I do not need that button there anymore. I like to keep the main menu in my window.

But I cannot remove just the "show b. menu" button. If I click on it and ask to remove, the star is removed too.

I would keep the star there alone, but that is not possible. FF is a very weird program. (...)

The only thing that I did not understand in this last post you wrote, is:

If you like the side bar you can add that icon to the toolbar

I found a few more buttons that I did not knew existed, but neither of them are "bookmark left panel on/off":

- "bookmarks menu": yes, there is another one here, just show the menu, it is a separate icon than the "edit+menu" I have there. And for some tricky reason, there are two icons with the same icon and text in the customize window! Two "bookmarks menu" icons, that is what I am saying.

- "quick bookmark": ???

- "bookmark page": I added it to test. When I click on it, even if it is far from the "star edit bookm.", the dialog that shows is in the star. FF is crazy.

- "manage bookmarks": it opens the bookmark manager window
general mailing list