Web lists-archives.com

Re: Firefox: ctrl opens like this, but I *always* want it like this other

Em 31-12-2017 00:48, Big Al escreveu:
On 12/30/2017 08:52 PM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:
Em 30-12-2017 23:37, Big Al escreveu:
On 12/30/2017 07:58 PM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:

Em 30-12-2017 22:45, Balaco ocalaB escreveu:
Hello. ^,^

This is Firefox ESR 52.2.0.

I have started using FF in this machine not many weeks ago, so I am
still finding some of the favorites I had in another computer.

The way FF gives me the add new favorite dialog (it is not a real
window, like I would prefer) in a really annoying way.

It gives me this:

Which is really annoying because the folders it gives to me as choices
where to put the new favorite are just a very limited set of all the
folders I have! Where you see "cultura" written in this screenshot, is
the menu with limited options I am talking about.

The path to happiness here, is *not* to click in this almost dialog
width menu (for its limited options), but we have to click on the tiny
arrow down button to the right of that menu (arrow changes to up
when we
click it). You can see that arrow positioned in the mouse cursor, and
the increased and improved dialog when we click on that, in this other

My first shot did not show the options I got when click on that wider
menu. I am lazy to repeat all I already done and uploaded, and will
to write both sets here, so you can compare and (possibly)
understand my
discontent with FF new add favorite dialog:

CTRL+D dialog has:
   "Fav. bar", "Fav. menu", "Other fav", | , "Choose", | , "cultura",
   "desenvolvimento", "utils", "programas", "fb"

CTRL+D improved dialog has:
   "Fav. bar", "Fav. menu" >
        [several options, each of my folders in "Fav. Menu" set, in a
          order that is *not* obvious for me, not alphabetic (as I
          and would choose) and is not recently used or changed folder
        ] ,
       "Other fav"

The CTRL+D has too few options! I want all of them, could be 50, I
would, at most, want to tolerate scrolling to find each possible one.

The improved dialog still has a limited height, a bit bigger, though,
but which still limits how many folders I can see. I wish I could
the height of this dialog, increasing it. (do you know how to? say it,

My question is: how can I make CTRL+D (or bar's star click) always
the bigger dialog and *never* the first and smaller dialog? The answer
is *not* to change the dialog to the bigger one and add/change one
favorite - the smaller will be the shown one in the next CTRL+D.

My second question, of smaller importance, but with equal value if
is an answer, is: can I just throw away the not-a-window dialog of
CTRL+D and make that shortcut bring a window with all possible
where I can choose one to add the current page as a favorite?

The menu "Favorites" > "Show favorites" does *not* answer the second
question because it has no easy way (or I did not see that) to add the
current page in one of the folders there. Further, the window shown
that menu item mixes: history, downloads, tags and favorites in
only one
window! I want something just for the favorites (and indirectly their
tags), and nothing else. Downloads and history are very far and
unrelated things, even between themselves. This window (from menu
fav>showFav) is something really disappointing in FF.

I reread everything, but I miss something in the subject! GRRRRRR...

"ctrl" should have been "ctrl d". The rest should be free of errors.

That's not english but in that screen capture if you drill down in the
cultura box you should have an option to "chose" and that will let you
pick any folder.  I have some 70 folders.

"cultura" is not english, but I have put the "Choose" menu in the list
I wrote above, for what we get when CTRL+D is pressed. I do not want
to make two extra clicks like you suggest (that is: doing to menu >
choose  > folder > details > done) or one extra click going directly
in the down arrow I showed, that opens what I called "the improved
ctrl+d dialog", which shows all folders. It is exactly the same thing
we get with both paths! I checked this now.

I want that ctrl+d always show that dialog already with all folders
for us. See?

I am imagining that an obscure about:config option+value or extension
can do it.

Yes it is a bunch of clicks, probably why I usually just drag the url to
the folder I want.  Seems more direct, especially the way I have my
bookmarks setup.   Either that or just let it drop into the "other
bookmarks" folder which seems to be the default.   Later in the week
I'll do the house keeping with "show all bookmarks" open so I can easily
move the items to the proper place or kill them.   Usually I'm
bookmarking just for a few days.

I have ~1100 bookmarks so I need to prune more and more.

Uau! This is a lot of bookmarks! I keep some URLs for very specific uses in text files, in folders related to what they are (something like that). But even with them together, think I will not be close to one thousand.

Drag and drop the url is something I wouldn't normally try (or do). I will experiment it tomorrou, see how it goes...

general mailing list