Web lists-archives.com

Re: Changing 'closebox' in FF57/Tree Style Tab

On 12/29/2017 11:23 AM, Sailfish wrote:
12/28/2017 9:43 AM:
The guy offers snippets, many of which work without actually knowing
what I'm doing.  I'm stumped by the syntax of choosing what to used for
the 'close tab' graphic -- I want it as large as possible.  I like the
'negative squared cross mark' (U+274C).  The guy's choice does nothing:

    .closebox::before {
    content: "⨉";
    }

I tried substituting "\274C" for "x", but no joy.

What should I be doing?

<snip />

I.m not completely sure as to which close graphic you want to change

Each tab has an X to click to close that tab. That's the graphic I want to change, and I want as big a graphic as I can put there -- I'm really bad at aiming mice.

but, assuming you mean only the tabbar tab close graphic, putting the
two styles below in your userChrome.css file should work:

I never want to close the entire tab bar.  Why would anyone want that?

/* Insert the content below before the "close" graphic */
.tab-close-button::before {
	content: "\274C";
}

/* Hide the "close" graphic */
.tab-close-button  > .toolbarbutton-icon {
	display: none;
}

However, if you want it to replace all close button graphics, e.g.,
Bookmarks sidebar, &c, use this instead

/* Insert the content below before the "close" graphic */
.tab-close-button::before, .close-icon::before {
	content: "\274C";
}

/* Hide the "close" graphic */
.close-icon  > .toolbarbutton-icon {
	display: none;
}

Not to be ungrateful or anything, but none of these did anything at all :-(

Lastly, using Unicode characters in CSS requires that you replace the
"U+" prefix with a backslash character.

That's good to know.

--
Cheers, Bev
   There are 10 types of people in this world,