Web lists-archives.com

Re: changing eMail hosts

On 12/29/17 9:41 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
On 12/29/2017, 3:01:10 PM, Ed Mullen <ejEMOVER@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/29/2017 at 2:34 PM, Tanstaafl created this epitome of digital genius:
Which will never, ever, sync locally stored messages BACK to a server.
It is a one way sync - server to your computer. If you point this
account to a new server, all locally stored messages will be replaced
with whatever is on the new server the very first sync to the new server.

Actually, I believe the sync is two-way.  I just composed a message and
hit save.  Used the Web interface to check the account and the message
was in the Drafts folder.

Nope... the client saves the message to the drafts folder, which is an
IMAP folder.

Think of it like this...

Say you have all of your email cached locally ('Keep messages on my
computer' is checked).

Close your email client.

Log into your email client through the web.

Delete all of your email.

What do you think will happen the next time you open your email client?

All of the locally held messages are immediately deleted.

Actually, it is two-way, but the server side always wins, unless you actively add something while online. So, if you copy a message from your local folders account to an IMAP account, it will not be deleted. If you point your account to a new, empty server, everything will be deleted.