Web lists-archives.com

Re: changing eMail hosts

On 12/28/2017, 11:22:56 AM, Ed Mullen <ejEMOVER@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12/28/2017 at 11:05 AM, Disaster Master created this epitome of
> digital genius:

>>> Last time I did this, Thunderbird did update everything back to the server.

>> No, it didn't, that would be impossible without user intervention.
>>
>> Your account was likely set up as a POP3 account, so the messages were
>> stored locally, not on the server.

> In his second post he said it was IMAP.

Well, not exactly, but he did mention the word.

But, his questions and comments make it clear he has no clue how IMAP works.

The simple solution and answer to his question is...

1. Get the new server working

2. Add the new account to the existing mail client and confirm it is working

3. Change the MX records

4. Copy the old mail you want to keep to the new server

5. When finished copying the old mail, remove the old Account and
discontinue the service

This is fine for a single account, but if I were doing this for one of
my clients with many users, I'd use ImapSync+MasterUser to sync the
accounts (and there would be a little more care needed).