Web lists-archives.com

Re: Firefox 45.9 ESFR Continues to install new version.

On 12/29/2017 7:28 AM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:
Em 29-12-2017 02:48, Michael Gordon escreveu:
Hello fellow Firefox Users,

I am probably in the wrong place, but this is all I could find.

Last week I had a bit of a problem with Firefox and Office 365 OneDrive
able to totally destroy Thunderbird and the profile I was using.

When I went to Help and try to figure out what was happening Firefox
began downloading the latest version and I lost all my use full tools,
plugins, bookmarks, and themes.  This new 52.? was totally useless for
my work and caused me to open IE to finish some projects.

I resolved the issue be regressing backward to version 45.9 esr and
creating a user profile by hand.  I now have Firefox working as well as
before with one exception.
Now, every time I load Firefox onto the computer (start Firefox) it
tries to download a new version and I have to manually stop the download.

I have Tools > Options > Advanced > Update set to never check for updates.
I have searched About:Config for the Update settings and values and
everything I can find indicate updates it should not be downloading.

After 21 years of using Netscape/'Mozilla products is it time to throw
in the towel and submit to Microsoft IE?

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your ideas and solutions.

Michael, I just had a possible idea to justify the "against the setting" behaviour you have, and I do not have. Although my FF version is a bit newer than yours, 52.2.0 64bit, but it is not even close to the lastest updated version possible. Automatic updates are not wanted by me too. Unless I do them manually, they should not happen, end. And they did not happen since several months agora, when I did a manual install of my chosen ESR version.

To the idea. In your computer, in the FF install you are using, are there other users who use *different profiles* than yours? Is there a chance that those different users with different profiles choose to *have* automatic updates enabled in their setting? I do not know what FF does in that situation (if someone reading this now and knows the answer, please tell us!).

Anyway, if that is the cause of your problem, what you can do is to install whatever FF version you want in a folder that will be only accessed by you (or only by others who will never make updates, never).

What do you say?
Balaco,
I am the only user of this Windows 7 PC, there are no other users allowed to open and use the PC or FF. I now have three profiles, one from years ago, then one from an earlier manual updater, and now this third which I created manually.

Apparently, at sometime in the very recent past FF downloaded the latest 52.x version before I could kill it. Now I keep getting the prompt to install the new version. Perhaps, if I knew where FF saved the new downloaded file I could delete it and FF would not see a new potential version install file.

Michael