Web lists-archives.com

Re: Firefox 45.9 ESFR Continues to install new version.

Em 29-12-2017 11:41, WaltS48 escreveu:
On 12/28/17 11:48 PM, Michael Gordon wrote:
Hello fellow Firefox Users,

I am probably in the wrong place, but this is all I could find.

Last week I had a bit of a problem with Firefox and Office 365
OneDrive loading thumbnails.  With the help of Office support
engineers we were able to totally destroy Thunderbird and the profile
I was using.

When I went to Help and try to figure out what was happening Firefox
began downloading the latest version and I lost all my use full tools,
plugins, bookmarks, and themes.  This new 52.? was totally useless for
my work and caused me to open IE to finish some projects.

I resolved the issue be regressing backward to version 45.9 esr and
creating a user profile by hand.  I now have Firefox working as well
as before with one exception.
Now, every time I load Firefox onto the computer (start Firefox) it
tries to download a new version and I have to manually stop the download.

I have Tools > Options > Advanced > Update set to never check for
updates.
I have searched About:Config for the Update settings and values and
everything I can find indicate updates it should not be downloading.

After 21 years of using Netscape/'Mozilla products is it time to throw
in the towel and submit to Microsoft IE?

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your ideas and solutions.

Michael Gordon

Let the software update to the current version that will have many bug
and security fixes.

No, Walt. That is a fair argument, but Michael configured FF specifically to *never* do updates! There is something (strange, I imagine) that is causing his FF to refuse to obey that configure. That is the problem.

Updates don't normally cause the loss of extensions, plugins, bookmarks
and themes.

Updates may not cause those losses, sure. But the latest versions of Firefox *will cause* extensions to stop working. So, for whoever has extensions, including extensions that existed (and possibly were used) since several months or more ago, should be even more careful when updating Firefox, even more if that is for the lastest versions.

Those you should be able to restore from your backed up profile. You do
have one? Just copy it over to the broken one.

To back up a profile is something I should do too... but I do not. Will not do now. I would be VERY upset if I eventually make a manual update of my FF 52.2.0 ESR and it wrecks or call obsolete and does not use all the extensions I have now. They are not many, but they are important to me. The automatic updates are totally disabled in all my profiles of FF, and that is being obeyed - as Michael expected with the same setting change I think I used. "That is puzzling" is all I can say to him, unfortunately.

--
=
    If this message and others are off-topic,