Web lists-archives.com

Re: changing eMail hosts

On 12/27/2017 at 1:30 AM, T created this epitome of digital genius:
On 12/26/2017 10:07 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 12/26/2017 9:17 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

I am posting this over here instead of on Thunderbird to
avoid irritating the moderator.

After the 1st of the year, I am going to try to get
a customer to change his eMail host.

Would you double check me to see if I have the right idea
as to how to handle this

1) install Thunderbird on all computer and configure their eMail

2) Full synchronize each account with Thunderbird and Outlook, if
that is what they are using.

3) making a back up copy of the roaming\Thunderbird directory
and Outlook's (idiot) PST file.

4) shut off all eMail clients

5) flip the MX record to the new eMail host

6) log into the new provider's admin portal and recreate
each eMail account.

7) wait a bit for the MX record to catch up.  Do a hosts
on their domain to see is the DNS is showing the new MX
using the same DNS that the eMail clients will be using.

8) Let Thunderbird rip (re-synchronize).

9) Let Outlook resync, if that is what they are using.

10) try to get the users to switch to Thunderbird.

Any words of wisdom?

Many thanks,

You are describing a change of E-mail client, not E-mail host.  The host
is the server, either IMAP or POP3/SMTP.  It can serve both Outlook and
Thunderbird clients and can be changed without any of the users being
aware of the change.

If you really mean "client" instead of "host", there is a major lack in
your plan.  You need to provide some level of training for the users
because Outlook and Thunderbird have different user interfaces.  This
training should be done BEFORE switching the clients.

I mean the eMail host, also know as the SMTP and iMap servers.
Changing the eMail client is really, really easy.

It would be nice to change the client at the same time, but
hope springs eternal.  I will be install Thunderbird for its
iMap off line cache capability.  I probably should have
said that in the original post, but it was also obvious from
my referring to synchronization.

It appears you are changing both hosts and email client. If so, the first thing you should do is install Tbird and configure the OLD email account(s). Set IMAP up for Synchronization to "Keep messages for this account on this computer." This will sync all folders and messages and save them locally. Then setup the new hosts/accounts in TB. You can copy all the folders/messages from the old accounts/hosts to the new ones. Once the new ones are syncing correctly you can delete the old accounts/folder if you like.

Ed Mullen
I hate sex in the movies. The seat folded up, the drink spilled and that ice really chilled the mood.
general mailing list