Web lists-archives.com

Re: changing eMail hosts

On 12/27/2017 09:40 AM, dillinger wrote:
On 12/27/2017 06:17 AM, T wrote:
Hi All,

I am posting this over here instead of on Thunderbird to
avoid irritating the moderator.

After the 1st of the year, I am going to try to get
a customer to change his eMail host.

Would you double check me to see if I have the right idea
as to how to handle this

1) install Thunderbird on all computer and configure their eMail
account.

2) Full synchronize each account with Thunderbird and Outlook, if
that is what they are using.

3) making a back up copy of the roaming\Thunderbird directory
and Outlook's (idiot) PST file.

4) shut off all eMail clients

5) flip the MX record to the new eMail host

6) log into the new provider's admin portal and recreate
each eMail account.

7) wait a bit for the MX record to catch up.  Do a hosts
on their domain to see is the DNS is showing the new MX
using the same DNS that the eMail clients will be using.

8) Let Thunderbird rip (re-synchronize).

9) Let Outlook resync, if that is what they are using.

10) try to get the users to switch to Thunderbird.

Any words of wisdom?

Many thanks,
-T

You realize that Thunderbirds local cache of IMAP messages is not a backup, it will happily delete all messages if you replace the server with a new (empty) server. Copying everything back and forth to local folders could fix that, but that's very tedious, also depending on how many users there are, and how much help they need doing this. I think you're approaching this from the wrong (client) side, what you should be looking for is a way to copy the mail from the old server to the new server. First figure out how you you would do that locally (replace/backup a server) and then find a solution with both providers. Could be something like restoring a backup from the old provider at the new provider.

Last time I did this, Thunderbird did update everything back to the server.

I will look.  Thank you!