Web lists-archives.com

Re: changing eMail hosts

On 12/26/2017 9:17 PM, T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am posting this over here instead of on Thunderbird to
> avoid irritating the moderator.
>
> After the 1st of the year, I am going to try to get
> a customer to change his eMail host.
>
> Would you double check me to see if I have the right idea
> as to how to handle this
>
> 1) install Thunderbird on all computer and configure their eMail
> account.
>
> 2) Full synchronize each account with Thunderbird and Outlook, if
> that is what they are using.
>
> 3) making a back up copy of the roaming\Thunderbird directory
> and Outlook's (idiot) PST file.
>
> 4) shut off all eMail clients
>
> 5) flip the MX record to the new eMail host
>
> 6) log into the new provider's admin portal and recreate
> each eMail account.
>
> 7) wait a bit for the MX record to catch up.  Do a hosts
> on their domain to see is the DNS is showing the new MX
> using the same DNS that the eMail clients will be using.
>
> 8) Let Thunderbird rip (re-synchronize).
>
> 9) Let Outlook resync, if that is what they are using.
>
> 10) try to get the users to switch to Thunderbird.
>
> Any words of wisdom?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

You are describing a change of E-mail client, not E-mail host.  The host
is the server, either IMAP or POP3/SMTP.  It can serve both Outlook and
Thunderbird clients and can be changed without any of the users being
aware of the change.

If you really mean "client" instead of "host", there is a major lack in
your plan.  You need to provide some level of training for the users
because Outlook and Thunderbird have different user interfaces.  This
training should be done BEFORE switching the clients.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

President Trump:  Please stop using Twitter.  We need
to hear your voice and see you talking.  We need to know
when your message is really your own and not your attorney's.