Web lists-archives.com

changing eMail hosts

Hi All,

I am posting this over here instead of on Thunderbird to
avoid irritating the moderator.

After the 1st of the year, I am going to try to get
a customer to change his eMail host.

Would you double check me to see if I have the right idea
as to how to handle this

1) install Thunderbird on all computer and configure their eMail

2) Full synchronize each account with Thunderbird and Outlook, if
that is what they are using.

3) making a back up copy of the roaming\Thunderbird directory
and Outlook's (idiot) PST file.

4) shut off all eMail clients

5) flip the MX record to the new eMail host

6) log into the new provider's admin portal and recreate
each eMail account.

7) wait a bit for the MX record to catch up.  Do a hosts
on their domain to see is the DNS is showing the new MX
using the same DNS that the eMail clients will be using.

8) Let Thunderbird rip (re-synchronize).

9) Let Outlook resync, if that is what they are using.

10) try to get the users to switch to Thunderbird.

Any words of wisdom?

Many thanks,

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
   --  Charles Varlet de La Grange
general mailing list