Web lists-archives.com

Re: Thunderbird Will Phase out Legacy Add-Ons, Will Support WebExtensions

Em 26-12-2017 16:29, Tanstaafl escreveu:
On 12/26/2017, 12:37:51 PM, Big Al <BigAl@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I read a post/blog a week or so ago that said Mozilla was going to adopt
the new webextensions but also leave support for legacy.   Contrary to
this news article.

I'm hoping for the 'keep support for legacy' at least for a year or so.

The article is at the very least misleading, if not full on click-bait.

Yes, *eventually* support for legacy Addons will be forced on us, but
that is at least a year, if not 2 or 3, away.

The next version of TB stable will apparently be 60 (instead of 59 -
this assumes it still follows the Firefox ESR release schedule, which
they have changed from FF 59 to 60 for the next ESR release).

The next stable version of TB, which looks to be released in late
August, should be good for at least another 8-10 months, so that is a
good year and a half or so - but it is unlikely support for legacy
Addons will end even at the next stable release (67?) yet another 8-10
months away.

So, legacy addons are here for a while longer, which provides a lot more
time for additional APIs to be added (and Thunderbird could even add
their own APIs if desired).

So, I don't think Thunderbird is in nearly as much danger as Firefox is
in this regard - but I guess I could be wrong.

One thing I will say, while I am still very much pissed about Firefox
killing legacy Addons (I understand the argument, but disagree
vehemently with their decision to limit the webextension APIs as
drastically as they have, and to not provide a lot more time to
transition and phase-out legacy Addons), I must say, I do like the new
Firefox, and have even been able to mod the UI to almost satisfaction,
although it needs a LOT of userChrome.css tweaks.

I thank you very much for showing details about your opinions and thoughts on this whole situation involving Mozilla projects.

Best regards
(: