Web lists-archives.com

Re: A New Future for Thunderbird

On 12/22/2017 01:46 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 12/22/2017 08:54 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
On 12/22/17 11:23 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 12/22/2017 07:30 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 13/12/2017 12:23 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
Thought I would share this blog post by the new Community Manager for
Thunderbird. I found it in the TB meeting notes from Nov. 14th, and
don't recall seeing it anywhere.

<http://ryanleesipes.me/a-new-future-for-thunderbird/>

Didn't even mention usenet.  Asshole.

Setting Followup-To: m.general

Keep copies of old versions of Thunderbird and add-ons you are using! :)

:-) +1 etc.

Sticking on 38.  Not planning on changing.

Well, Thanks to everyone for being critical instead of happy that the
application has a future.

Not my problem unless something somehow deletes all older versions from our computers.

That post didn't show up in Planet Mozilla or Planet Thunderbird, which
I am sure you are all subscribed to in your Thunderbird Blogs & News
Feeds account. So I thought I would share it.

I'm sure you all saw the latest Thunderbird Blog post, dated 12/19/17 in
your Blogs & News Feeds - Planet Mozilla Projects feed.

Anyway, enjoy the security vulnerabilities you are exposed to, including
the "Mailsploit" vulnerability fixed in 52.5.2 released yesterday.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/52.5.2/releasenotes/

https://www.mailsploit.com/index

I use TB because I've used it since 1994 and I like the way it looks (thanks to my tweaks) and works.  With each update I lost something, and enough is enough.  To the best of my knowledge I haven't been exploited by evildoers, and that seems to be the only reason to upgrade.

I installed FF 57 and can't get rid of the tabs across the top, a MAJOR annoyance when I already have tree style tabs installed.  I can't have a nice big RELOAD button, but have to aim at a tiny icon.  I want bold fonts for a number of things, and I can't have that.  I want a strip of bookmarks down the left side of the screen IN BOLD TYPE and I can't have that.  I want certain tabs to be protected or locked (example:  I want to open a lot of tabs from Drudge before I read them all at once -- now I have to middle-click, which I don't like doing) and I can't have that.  I don't want to switch to the new tab that I just opened until I WANT to switch, and I can't have that.  Etc.

I don't like having to readjust what I do every damn time an upgrade happens.  Does anybody?  Tweaks are becoming less and less possible, and the UI in general is headed in a direction I don't like.  I really LIKED the way Netscape .9 looked, but I can't have that either.

I use 57 for what I have to because 52ESR won't do some things, but 57 won't do some stuff either and I have to use Chrome, which I despise. To the extent that FF is turning into Chrome, I despise it too.

</CurmudgeonRant>

Some of your complaints can be fixed. There are quite a few userChrome.css mods that have been floating around that radically change 57. One of the major complaints were the square tabs.

I've take the mods and tweaked them for my personal use and have made larger icons, fonts and moved the tabs below the URL bar. I can't or have no need to remove tabs, I don't use the sidebar of any sort. But there are ways to improve 57. I kinda like what I've wound up with.