Web lists-archives.com

Re: A New Future for Thunderbird

On 12/22/2017 08:54 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
On 12/22/17 11:23 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 12/22/2017 07:30 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 13/12/2017 12:23 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
Thought I would share this blog post by the new Community Manager for
Thunderbird. I found it in the TB meeting notes from Nov. 14th, and
don't recall seeing it anywhere.

<http://ryanleesipes.me/a-new-future-for-thunderbird/>

Didn't even mention usenet.  Asshole.

Setting Followup-To: m.general

Keep copies of old versions of Thunderbird and add-ons you are using! :)

:-) +1 etc.

Sticking on 38.  Not planning on changing.

Well, Thanks to everyone for being critical instead of happy that the
application has a future.

Not my problem unless something somehow deletes all older versions from our computers.

That post didn't show up in Planet Mozilla or Planet Thunderbird, which
I am sure you are all subscribed to in your Thunderbird Blogs & News
Feeds account. So I thought I would share it.

I'm sure you all saw the latest Thunderbird Blog post, dated 12/19/17 in
your Blogs & News Feeds - Planet Mozilla Projects feed.

Anyway, enjoy the security vulnerabilities you are exposed to, including
the "Mailsploit" vulnerability fixed in 52.5.2 released yesterday.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/52.5.2/releasenotes/

https://www.mailsploit.com/index

I use TB because I've used it since 1994 and I like the way it looks (thanks to my tweaks) and works. With each update I lost something, and enough is enough. To the best of my knowledge I haven't been exploited by evildoers, and that seems to be the only reason to upgrade.

I installed FF 57 and can't get rid of the tabs across the top, a MAJOR annoyance when I already have tree style tabs installed. I can't have a nice big RELOAD button, but have to aim at a tiny icon. I want bold fonts for a number of things, and I can't have that. I want a strip of bookmarks down the left side of the screen IN BOLD TYPE and I can't have that. I want certain tabs to be protected or locked (example: I want to open a lot of tabs from Drudge before I read them all at once -- now I have to middle-click, which I don't like doing) and I can't have that. I don't want to switch to the new tab that I just opened until I WANT to switch, and I can't have that. Etc.

I don't like having to readjust what I do every damn time an upgrade happens. Does anybody? Tweaks are becoming less and less possible, and the UI in general is headed in a direction I don't like. I really LIKED the way Netscape .9 looked, but I can't have that either.

I use 57 for what I have to because 52ESR won't do some things, but 57 won't do some stuff either and I have to use Chrome, which I despise. To the extent that FF is turning into Chrome, I despise it too.

</CurmudgeonRant>

--
Cheers, Bev
   "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity