Web lists-archives.com

Re: FCC votes to remove protections for the open Internet in the USA.

On 12/20/2017 06:31 AM, Wolf K wrote:
On 2017-12-19 21:11, The Real Bev wrote:

There are real advantages to being retired -- my time is worth NOTHING.

To me, it's worth more than ever. Because there isn't that much of it left.

If I allowed myself to think that way I would go mad. Better, for me at least, to use the one-day-at-a-time-live-forever approach.

  Given that I run cars into the ground and I bought the Corolla on the
assumption that maintenance costs would be negligible, all it costs me
to go shopping is  ~15 centsUS/mile.  My shopping trip may be a 20-mile
round trip (if I include Costco, no more often than once a monh), and I
don't do this more than once a week, if that.

There are real advantages to living in pretty places, though, and I wish
I did :-(

Commuting to work and shopping the conurbations may cost a couple of
hours or more per day. That's why we use transit when we visit Toronto:
you can catch up on your reading, or even have a conversation with your
travelling companion. :-)

I love driving and I can't read while moving. I just don't like cities -- with certain exceptions, they're places you go when you have to buy something you can only get in a city. I'm glad we spent time in London, Paris and Rome (old stuff is a major exception), but I wouldn't want to live there.

Best trip in a couple of decades -- a week skiing in Utah and then a week-long Utah road trip with a friend. The overnight in Las Vegas was by far the dregs of that trip!

--
Cheers, Bev
   "What fresh hell is this?"     -- Dorothy Parker