Web lists-archives.com

Re: FCC votes to remove protections for the open Internet in the USA.

On 2017-12-19 21:11, The Real Bev wrote:
On 12/19/2017 03:01 PM, Wolf K wrote:

Footnote: At the current (Ontario) minimum wage of $14/hour, a shopping
trip costs around $60 to $120 in time, plus the mileage cost of the
vehicle, which at the current common expense-claim rate of around
$0.40/km amounts to about $120. Total direct and indirect cost: $180 to
$240 or so. If saving money on shopping is the prime motive for
travelling to the city, you'd have to spend a thousand dollars or more
to come out even. OTOH, since we do have to go to the city for services
we can't get here, adding a shopping excursion reduces the cost of the trip.

There are real advantages to being retired -- my time is worth NOTHING.

To me, it's worth more than ever. Because there isn't that much of it left.

 Given that I run cars into the ground and I bought the Corolla on the assumption that maintenance costs would be negligible, all it costs me to go shopping is  ~15 centsUS/mile.  My shopping trip may be a 20-mile round trip (if I include Costco, no more often than once a monh), and I don't do this more than once a week, if that.

There are real advantages to living in pretty places, though, and I wish I did :-(

Commuting to work and shopping the conurbations may cost a couple of hours or more per day. That's why we use transit when we visit Toronto: you can catch up on your reading, or even have a conversation with your travelling companion. :-)

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com