Re: Ping: David E. Ross Re: PrefBar check boxes.
- Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 09:46:42 -0800
- From: "David E. Ross" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: Ping: David E. Ross Re: PrefBar check boxes.
On 12/17/2017 3:15 PM, jetjock wrote:
> I searched your Website for the answer to this with no luck, so will
> try here. I found a post from you on 3/6/15 in Google Groups in which
> you stated:
> "HTML5 media are not Flash and are thus independent of Flash.
> PrefBar is a browser extension. I don't like PrefBar's inherent Flash
> blocking capability since it allows the Flash content file to download
> and then renames the content file. Instead, I created a PrefBar
> checkbox that enables or disables the Flashblock extension. I created a
> separate PrefBar checkbox that enables or disables Gecko's HTML5 media
> The pertinent part of which is the last sentence. At some point you must
> have shared info on how you did that, as I have those check boxes in my
> PrefBar. I am now setting up a new machine for my wife, and would like
> to add those boxes to her PrefBar, but I can't find how I did it
> anywhere. Would you be kind enough to help out again? Many thanks.
NOTE WELL: None of the following works for Firefox with Webextensions.
This only applies if your browser still accepts .xpi extensions.
For the PrebBar checkboxes that I use, you must first install the
Flashblock extension from <http://flashblock.mozdev.org/>. Note that
there are separate versions for Firefox and SeaMonkey. To have separate
controls for Flash and HTML5 Media, the options for Flashblock must have
the checkbox for "Block HTML5 video as well" unchecked on the General tab.
If you already have the two checkboxes for Flashblock and HTML5 Media:
1. On your own PC, right-click on the PrefBar tool bar in your browser
and select Customize PrefBar from the pull-down context menu.
2. On the PrefBar window, locate the checkbox for enabling and
disabling FlashBlock, right-click on it, and select Export from the
pull-down context menu.
3. In the Export Buttons to File navigation window, navigate to where
you want to save the button and select the Save button.
4. With the PrefBar window still open, repeat steps #2 and #3 for the
HTML5 Media checkbox.
5. Transfer the two .btn files to your wife's PC.
6. On your wife's PC, right-click on the PrefBar tool bar in her
browser and select Customize PrefBar from the pull-down context menu.
7. On the PrefBar window, under either Available Items or Enabled Items
(whichever is appropriate), right-click any place, and select Import
from the pull-down context menu.
8. In the Import Buttons from File navigation window, navigate to where
you saved the Flashblock checkbox .btn file, select it, and select the
9. With the PrefBar window still open, repeat step #8 for the HTML5
Media .btn file.
10. ith the PrefBar window still open, drag and drop each checkbox to
where your wife wants them on her PrefBar tool bar.
NOTE: If you have trouble locating the checkboxes on your own PC,
right-click on a suspected item and select Edit from the pull-down
a. The Flashblock checkbox has Prefstring flashblock.enabled.
b. The HTML5 Media checkbox has Prefstring media.autoplay.enabled.
David E. Ross
President Trump: Please stop using Twitter. We need
to hear your voice and see you talking. We need to know
when your message is really your own and not your attorney's.
general mailing list