Web lists-archives.com

Re: FCC votes to remove protections for the open Internet in the USA.

On 12/16/2017 03:55 PM, Frank wrote:
On 12/16/2017 1:03 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 12/16/2017 05:21 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
On 12/16/17 12:02 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

Consider getting an Ooma device for VOIP.  We've had ours for
several years and are super happy with it.  What will Comcast
charge for internet only?

The last time I got the offer in snail mail, the promotional
offer for Internet only was $29.99. Then there is an additional
$10 a month for the modem/router rental plus taxes and fees. So
maybe $45 a month.

Charter's regular price, including modem, is $65/month.

The Ooma was maybe $90 at Costco and charges ~$4/month for the
taxes imposed by our various governments.  It provides the usual
modern telephone features, and they (or at least they did several
years ago) give you their premium services free  for the first
year;  we decided we didn't need them.

Later on we bought a Sentry 2 device (~$50) which prevents
robocalls and a wide range of telemarketers from even ringing
through and requires others to press 0 to probe they're not
telemarketers.  If the bastards lie you can yell at them and then
mark BLOCK.  Your friends and other respectable callers only have
to press 0 once -- from then on they're whitelisted.   We used to
get maybe a dozen telemarketers/robocalls a day.  Now one or two
lying bastards per month.

A friend with normal phone service gets a telemarketer call
perhaps every half hour;  they have to listen to make sure it's not
a GOOD person.   They refuse to follow our suggestions.  I conclude
that all the ringing has driven them mad :-(

Blocking a number can get you into trouble as most are forged.  I had
to get my wife to stop doing it as I was missing important calls.

I trust the Ooma and Sentry people to know what they're doing.  I worry
about missing calls from people who somehow misunderstand the "Press 0"
instruction, but maybe they're so stupid I really shouldn't care.  Our
friends and doctors get through, and that's pretty much the only people
we care about.

If I block somebody it's already been proven that (s)he's a lying bastard. If
he's forging some stranger's number, that's not my problem.  Anybody I
WANT to call probably already has my email address in case they're
unjustifiably blocked.

Cheers, Bev
  "John Wayne toilet paper -- It's rough, it's tough,
   and it don't take no crap from nobody."
general mailing list