Web lists-archives.com

Re: FCC votes to remove protections for the open Internet in the USA.

On 12/15/2017 06:41 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
On 12/15/2017 8:30 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
On 12/15/17 9:22 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
On 12/15/2017 at 2:41 AM, Ron Hunter created this epitome of digital
genius:
On 12/14/2017 2:19 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
Get ready to pay more to access some content and services.

<https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/12/14/todays-net-neutrality-vote-an-unsurprising-unfortunate-disappointment/>

So, things revert to how they were before 2015.  Was it so bad then?
Much ado about nothing.

+1

Are you sure about that?

Your ISP isn't going to throttle your connections to certain sites like
Comcast did with Netflix, and who knows what else the providers have in
mind.

How about.

Greetings User,

We have noticed you get over 100 emails a day. This puts a strain on our
servers, so to provide you with the best possible service, we will be
charging you ten cents an email for each email over 50 that you receive.

This charge will be automatically be added to your monthly bill.

Thanks for being a customer.

Your ISP.

You don't believe in paying for services received?  Why should I pay the
same for sending maybe 10 emails a month, which you send 100 a day?  And
what business is it of government to take a hand in this?
You want 100mbps, you pay more.  You want to stream movies, pay more for
the bandwidth.  Supply and demand at work.  What you mean is that you
want others to pay for your fun.

I'm already paying Charter $65/month for my fun. Prices have been going up forever, along with nominal speeds, but the perceived speed hasn't changed for years. Given that Charter canceled nntp service years ago (after a few years of bad service that you couldn't even talk to the droids about because none of them knew what usenet or nntp was -- one thought it was some sort of satellite thing) without cutting the price, I can see them implementing additional charges for whatever the fsck they think they can get away with.

ISPs are common carriers now, Pretending that they're something else is definitely profitable, though.

--
Cheers, Bev
  VISE GRIPS (VYS'-gripz) [n]  A tool used to transfer intense