Web lists-archives.com

Re: English: no rule for making "ing" verbs?

Op 09/12/2017 om 19:06 schreef The Real Bev:
On 12/09/2017 06:18 AM, Wolf K wrote:
On 2017-12-08 23:21, The Real Bev wrote:
[...]
I know how German is pronounced because I took six weeks of it --
dropping it because I was sick of declining nouns after spending the
previous year in a Latin class :-(  In my defense, the teacher
pronounced the i in richtig as ee, as in Spanish and French.

... as in "bit". The long /i/, as in "beet" is found in Liebe: "ich
liebe dich" contains a short, a long, and short /i/

See, you have to think _sounds_, not letters. Both Spanish and French
have the "bit" and "beet" sounds.

My teachers were not phonetically-inclined, then :-(  Give examples of French and Spanish words using the short i, please!  I need to adjust my thinking A LOT.

I helped a student cure 90% of her spelling issues by reteaching
reading/writing starting with sounds. We looked for all possible
spelling of a given phoneme. Treat "silent letters" either as signs that
affect the sound spelled by another letter (bat/bate), or as part of a
letter group spelling a sound (<igh> in "right", <eigh> in "weight"). NB
that some letters can spell two sounds at once.

Oddities: Which phoneme is spelled only one way? Which sound can be
spelled with no letter at all? Which spelling spells no other sound?

I wish I liked puzzles :-(

I'm sorry I can't offer cash prizes for the answers. :-)

The usual non-cash awards are Brownie Points.

+1