Web lists-archives.com

Re: English: no rule for making "ing" verbs?

On 2017-12-08 23:21, The Real Bev wrote:
[...]
I know how German is pronounced because I took six weeks of it -- dropping it because I was sick of declining nouns after spending the previous year in a Latin class :-(  In my defense, the teacher pronounced the i in richtig as ee, as in Spanish and French.

... as in "bit". The long /i/, as in "beet" is found in Liebe: "ich liebe dich" contains a short, a long, and short /i/

See, you have to think _sounds_, not letters. Both Spanish and French have the "bit" and "beet" sounds.

I helped a student cure 90% of her spelling issues by reteaching reading/writing starting with sounds. We looked for all possible spelling of a given phoneme. Treat "silent letters" either as signs that affect the sound spelled by another letter (bat/bate), or as part of a letter group spelling a sound (<igh> in "right", <eigh> in "weight"). NB that some letters can spell two sounds at once.

Oddities: Which phoneme is spelled only one way? Which sound can be spelled with no letter at all? Which spelling spells no other sound?

I'm sorry I can't offer cash prizes for the answers. :-)

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com