Web lists-archives.com

Re: English: no rule for making "ing" verbs?

On 12/08/2017 02:42 PM, Wolf K wrote:
On 2017-12-08 13:44, The Real Bev wrote:
I assume from your name that you are not a native English speaker, which
means you actually had to learn the rules.  I didn't (just picked them
up subliminally, I guess -- I did a lot of reading as a kid) until I
took French in high school.  "Oh, THAT's what a direct object is!" etc.

I'm natively bi-lingual. My father was Austrian, my mother was English.
I grew up speaking both languages from the age of 5.

Lucky bastard! I really envy people who are fluent. My friend's grandkids are growing up speaking Mandarin (PROPER Mandarin as well as writing, their other grandmother was a teacher in Taiwan) and English.

I was the best student in my high school and college foreign language classes, but I am woefully inept at understanding either French or Spanish unless the native speaker speaks very slowly. Mexican Spanish, which drops a lot of letters, is very nearly incomprehensible.

I know how German is pronounced because I took six weeks of it -- dropping it because I was sick of declining nouns after spending the previous year in a Latin class :-( In my defense, the teacher pronounced the i in richtig as ee, as in Spanish and French.

--
Cheers, Bev
  Why do men's hearts beat faster, their knees get weak, their throats