Web lists-archives.com

Re: English: no rule for making "ing" verbs?

On 12/08/2017 05:43 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:

> before the
middle of the 20th century, many who thought themselves superior would
make fun of anyone foreign mispronouncing or spelling English words,
even though the English were, and still are, famous for being hopeless
at other languages. I hope that we are more enlightened now!

I still look down on people who write and speak English badly when it's their native language and they're old enough to know better. "Ignorance can be cured, but stupidity goes right down to the bone."

Waiting in the doc's office yesterday, I watched an incredibly cute almost-3-YO boy with Japanese and Korean parents speaking quite proper English. The Korean grandma (who spoke good English) said he also spoke Korean and Japanese to the appropriate family members.

The foreign-born can do whatever they need to do to make themselves understood, including hand gestures, facial expressions, and words in yet a third or fourth language. I would hope that we all feel that way.

Cheers, Bev
   A spokesperson for 60s band 'the animals' has today made a
   public apology saying they were mistaken and there isn't a
   house in New Orleans after all.

general mailing list