Web lists-archives.com

Re: English: no rule for making "ing" verbs?

On 12/08/2017 12:13 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:

Probably the best rule for most things 'English' is to read A LOT, and
then look at the word, and see if it looks 'right'.  Works as well as
trying to remember the rules, and exceptions.  Note that accepted
spellings DO change over time, and this can be very annoying!

I'm especially annoyed by the fact that "axe" was the proper way to say "ask" a couple of centuries ago. I just want to slap people who use 'axe'.

--
Cheers, Bev
   A spokesperson for 60s band 'the animals' has today made a