Web lists-archives.com

Re: English: no rule for making "ing" verbs?

On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 20:36:42 -0500, Wolf K wrote:

> If the vowel is long (which in most English dialects means it's a
> diphthong, and/or r-coloured), you must not double the consonant (Bart,
> bait, beat, boat, boot, bite, Bert, bork)

Thanks for that post, Wolf. Having just looked them up, I now know what
an r-coloured vowel is, and the interesting etymology of 'bork' - which
I've only ever seen in its technical-slang guise.

The other day I was wondering why the http header was 'referer' and not
(Remove any numerics from my email address.)
general mailing list