Web lists-archives.com

Re: English: no rule for making "ing" verbs?

Balaco wrote:
In English, is there a rule for knowing when we need or not to duplicate the last letter of a verb, when writing it in the present participle?

Begin => beginning
Know => knowing

Every now and then I miss them. And the rule for this, that I learned in scholl, is: "if the last letter is consonant, duplicate it". But I found many exceptions for that, so I basically know this rule as something that does not work. When I need it to be correct and have some doubt, I use a dictionary - but that is a pain to do, if for everything I write, and also sometimes unfeasible.

Another "rule" of English spelling .... "i before e, except after c" ... to which, apparently, there are over 900 exceptions!!

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

Go Dallas Cowgirls!! .... Er, Um, ... I  mean "Go Dallas Cowboys!!"
general mailing list