Web lists-archives.com

Re: English: no rule for making "ing" verbs?

Em 07-12-2017 22:45, David E. Ross escreveu:
On 12/7/2017 3:33 PM, Balaco wrote:
In English, is there a rule for knowing when we need or not to duplicate
the last letter of a verb, when writing it in the present participle?

Begin => beginning
Know => knowing

Every now and then I miss them. And the rule for this, that I learned in
scholl, is: "if the last letter is consonant, duplicate it". But I found
many exceptions for that, so I basically know this rule as something
that does not work. When I need it to be correct and have some doubt, I
use a dictionary - but that is a pain to do, if for everything I write,
and also sometimes unfeasible.

Unfortunately, there is no rule that is absolute.  In general, the last
letter is doubled if it is a consonant AND the letter before it is a
vowel.  However, your own example with "know" versus "knowing" shows
that this rule is not absolute.

I am a native speaker of English, born in California to parents who were
born in Chicago (all in the U.S.).  I have spoken English, written it,
and read it for over 70 years.  Yet I must often refer to a dictionary
or spell-checker to determine if I have written a word correctly.

Actually, the rule I thought I said above (which I learned) should have been written as "if the last letter is consonant, *and* the previous is vowel, *and* the second previous is consonant, then duplicate".

70 is a lot of time!

Thank you for telling me these things. They are important to me.