Web lists-archives.com

Re: English: no rule for making "ing" verbs?

On 12/7/2017 3:33 PM, Balaco wrote:
> In English, is there a rule for knowing when we need or not to duplicate
> the last letter of a verb, when writing it in the present participle?
>
> Begin => beginning
> Know => knowing
>
> Every now and then I miss them. And the rule for this, that I learned in
> scholl, is: "if the last letter is consonant, duplicate it". But I found
> many exceptions for that, so I basically know this rule as something
> that does not work. When I need it to be correct and have some doubt, I
> use a dictionary - but that is a pain to do, if for everything I write,
> and also sometimes unfeasible.

Unfortunately, there is no rule that is absolute.  In general, the last
letter is doubled if it is a consonant AND the letter before it is a
vowel.  However, your own example with "know" versus "knowing" shows
that this rule is not absolute.

I am a native speaker of English, born in California to parents who were
born in Chicago (all in the U.S.).  I have spoken English, written it,
and read it for over 70 years.  Yet I must often refer to a dictionary
or spell-checker to determine if I have written a word correctly.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

President Trump:  Please stop using Twitter.  We need
to hear your voice and see you talking.  We need to know
when your message is really your own and not your attorney's.