Web lists-archives.com

Re: English: no rule for making "ing" verbs?

On 12/7/2017 3:33 PM, Balaco wrote:
> In English, is there a rule for knowing when we need or not to duplicate
> the last letter of a verb, when writing it in the present participle?
> Begin => beginning
> Know => knowing
> Every now and then I miss them. And the rule for this, that I learned in
> scholl, is: "if the last letter is consonant, duplicate it". But I found
> many exceptions for that, so I basically know this rule as something
> that does not work. When I need it to be correct and have some doubt, I
> use a dictionary - but that is a pain to do, if for everything I write,
> and also sometimes unfeasible.

Unfortunately, there is no rule that is absolute.  In general, the last
letter is doubled if it is a consonant AND the letter before it is a
vowel.  However, your own example with "know" versus "knowing" shows
that this rule is not absolute.

I am a native speaker of English, born in California to parents who were
born in Chicago (all in the U.S.).  I have spoken English, written it,
and read it for over 70 years.  Yet I must often refer to a dictionary
or spell-checker to determine if I have written a word correctly.

David E. Ross

President Trump:  Please stop using Twitter.  We need
to hear your voice and see you talking.  We need to know
when your message is really your own and not your attorney's.
general mailing list