Web lists-archives.com

English: no rule for making "ing" verbs?

In English, is there a rule for knowing when we need or not to duplicate the last letter of a verb, when writing it in the present participle?

Begin => beginning
Know => knowing

Every now and then I miss them. And the rule for this, that I learned in scholl, is: "if the last letter is consonant, duplicate it". But I found many exceptions for that, so I basically know this rule as something that does not work. When I need it to be correct and have some doubt, I use a dictionary - but that is a pain to do, if for everything I write, and also sometimes unfeasible.
general mailing list