Web lists-archives.com

Re: Microsoft has reached 600 Million Users

On 5 Dec 2017 at 10:37, PietB wrote:

> Jim Fisher wrote:
> > +1--
>
> Wonder how that math works. ;-)
>
> > Forget Google! I search with https://duckduckgo.com  which doesn't spy on you
>
> There are more ways to avoid Google.
> I prefer Ixquick/Startpage. Just a few reasons why:
>
> - I/S stores my settings in a cookie, DDG stores them in the cloud.
>   Where are the cloud servers? For me it makes a lot of difference
>   if they're in Europe or in the US.
>
> - DDG lets you choose search categories (web, pictures, etc.) only
>   *after* you've done a web search. With I/S you can make the choice
>   *beforehand*.
>
> - When I open a private window in FF and start DDG with my settings
>   "encoded" in the URL, then check the settings, they're back to the
>   default. When I do the same with I/S, the settings are the ones
>   "encoded" in the URL.

On the first point, that wasn't what it looked like to me when I sent it. That
"--" on the end was the standard marker to delineate the start of a standard
footer, which should have been preceded by at least one blank line. You were
probably aware of that.

Thanks for the tip about I/S. I'll take a look at it. I know there are one or
two others available, too, such as Qwant (based in France).

Jim

--
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom (needs updating)
Forget Google! I search with https://duckduckgo.com  which doesn't spy on you