Web lists-archives.com

Re: Really OT: Besides FF what web browsers do you use?

Caver1 wrote:
On 12/3/17 8:17 AM, Luis wrote:
NFN Smith wrote:
Luis wrote:
For general use:
Opera (default) -Replaced FF 54
Yandex
Firefox (Now testing V57. I hope to move it up soon)
Vivaldi

Windows:
Seamonkey
Firefox 57
Opera
Pale Moon (portable)
Chrome (portable)

On testing VMs, I also do a little bit of poking with Waterfox and
Lunascape, as well as the most current FF beta. Also, I make some use of
Edge in a Windows 10 VM.

Linux:
Seamonkey

Mac:
Safari
Firefox

Android:
Opera
Firefox

On my aging Android, Opera seems to be a little faster and less prone to
crashes than Firefox. I haven't yet given FF 57 a real shakedown on that
device.

I'm not really a Mac user, but I have managed to acquire one that I can
use for testing and support use. Although my personal preference is
Mozilla stuff (and I plan to install Seamonkey), I do more in Safari,
mostly because of the frequency of use by other Mac users.  It's useful
for me to be familiar with Safari's way of doing things, and how to do
similar tuning that I do with Mozilla browsers.

Two additional thoughts:

- In the trade press, there's a columnist that I follow that includes
regular reports of browser use, and that's how I know that over the last
year or so, Firefox usage has had a modest increase, that Edge isn't
catching on, and that there's mass defections of IE users. However, one
annoyance is that the presumption is that browser selection is mutually
exclusive. Thus, the presumption that if a user is using Chrome, then
the user makes no use of Firefox or anything else.

In my case, that isn't true.  My primary browser is Seamonkey, but I
don't use it exclusively. Some, as noted here, is testing, but there's
other reasons to use more than one browser. One thing that I do with a
measure of frequency is if I need to access a site where I'm logged in
with more than one user user simultaneously.  Another is that with my
primary profile in Seamonkey, I have it locked down rigorously enough
with NoScript, AdBlock plus, and cookie handling that there are
occasions when I can't get it to behave the way that I want to. If I
can't easily adjust whitelisting settings, then sometimes, the easiest
work-around is to fire up another browser, where settings are closer to
default.

- Among responses that I've seen so far, I'm surprised to see no mention
of Pale Moon. That one seems to be the most popular option/suggestion
for people that don't like Quantum (or before that, the Australis UI),
if they're not abandoning Mozilla architecture entirely (usually for
Chrome).

Smith

Thanks for your comments. The last paragraph may me recall that I also
have used Pale Moon but I forgot it when W10 started making our lives
miserable while trying to tame the beast. But AFAIK Pale Moon is losing
positions. Among other things I recall that it was not full CSS 3
compatible, however I don't know if it is now.

The is a new browser from the devs of Pale Moon called Basilisk.
Don't know if it's CSS 3 compliant or not. Do remember that it is usable but is still being newly developed.

Thanks man. Downloaded and installed. Test results showed 474 points out of 555 compliant with HTML5 and 67% compliant with CSS3. Also tried some new FF extensions and they work just fine. Not thoroughly tested yet but I like it! It's like the FF's good old days but faster. Since it's pretty new seems to be promising.