Web lists-archives.com

Re: Deleted messages in these newsgroups

On 2017-11-29 08:57, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what Balaco graced us with on 11/28/2017 7:11 AM:
I discovered that I can delete *any* newsgroup messages with Thunderbird.

When I delete my own messages, are they deleted for other users as well? It eventually happens that sometimes I write things that I only see wrong or not so good after sometime. In fora, I would edit them. In a newsgroup, if anyone did not yet replied, the best to do is an answer to myself pointing the problem or re-saying everything. Of course undoing things for who read through mailing lists will not exist unless the "make post" + "mirroring to the respective mailing list" actions wait some time to happen.

Only moderators can delete posts from their servers. Also, google groups  also save newsgroups posts, see
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!forum/mozilla.general

Aha! Clarification widens.

Inference: "Cancel" is a fossil left over from the early days of Usenet. Usenet was IIRC an integration (and standardisation) of individually operated BBS's, many of which did allow people to cancel messages.

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com