Web lists-archives.com

Re: How to lock down Quantum

On 11/26/17 7:38 PM, Wolf K wrote:
On 2017-11-26 17:23, Big Al wrote:
On 11/26/2017 03:25 PM, PietB wrote:
Chris Ilias wrote:
Maybe there's a misunderstanding. ESR is intended for deployment in
"organizations including schools, universities, businesses and others
who need extended support for mass deployments."

Well, I'm not a school, university or business, nor do I have a need
for mass deployment. I'm just one of those individuals who is in need
of "old school" add-on and plugin support. And from following this
newsgroup I know I'm not the only one. And while others may perceive
"need" as exaggerated or a matter of taste, it's dead serious: my bank
relies on its own plugin for its own smart card reader. Ever tried to
get a big business like a bank to change its strategy?

Now, my understanding was that with the advent of FF59, FF ESR would
also take some sort of quantum leap and become ESR59, also no longer
supporting "old school" add-ons and plugins. Am I wrong?

-p

You would think the a big business like a bank would be aware that FF is moving to new add-ons and update their own add-on if it's a NEEDED item for it's customers.   Wouldn't you?

No, I wouldn't. If and only if the update plugs a security hole that affects that bank would I expect the bank to change its add-on.

This bank and a payroll company have been mentioned many times.

Frankly if they still require the Java plugin to do your banking or get your paycheck leaving you vulnerable to security vulnerabilities introduced by the plugin, after every major browser on the planet has banned the plugin, there is something wrong with the management of those institutions.

Site maintainers should prepare for plugins to stop working in all versions of Firefox by the end of 2016.

REF: <https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2015/10/08/npapi-plugins-in-firefox/>

Oracle plans to deprecate the Java browser plugin in JDK 9.

REF: <https://blogs.oracle.com/java-platform-group/moving-to-a-plugin-free-web>

JDK 9 reached General Availability on 21 September 2017. Production-ready binaries under the GPL are available from Oracle; binaries from other vendors will follow shortly.

REF: <http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk9/>

The Applet API has been deprecated.

Deprecate the Applet API, which is rapidly becoming irrelevant as web-browser vendors remove support for Java browser plug-ins. Guide developers to alternative technologies such as Java Web Start or installable applications.

REF: <http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/289>

Has been dropped from Firefox starting with version 56.0

REF: <https://www.fxsitecompat.com/en-CA/docs/2017/applet-support-has-been-dropped/>

xposted and followup set to m.general to continue the discussion.

--
Less than three months until Valentine's Day
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>