Web lists-archives.com

Re: New browser from the devs of Palemoon

Balaco wrote:
Em 20-11-2017 19:15, Caver1 escreveu:
This is a new browser from the makers of Palemoon. Looks good but too
early for me to expand more. Basilisk.
https://www.basilisk-browser.org/
Basilisk features
Main features:

    Full support for JavaScript's ECMAscript 6 standard for modern web
browsing.
    Support for all NPAPI plugins (Unity, Silverlight, Flash, Java,
authentication plugins, etc.).
    Support for XUL/Overlay Mozilla-style extensions.
    Experimental support for WebExtensions (in gecko-target mode).
Please note that some Mozilla-specific WebExtension APIs are not yet
available.
    Support for ALSA on Linux.
    Support for WebAssembly (WASM).
    Support for advanced Graphite font shaping features.
    Support for modern web cryptography: up to TLS 1.3, modern ciphers,
HSTS, etc.

Important differences with Mozilla Firefox:

    Uses Goanna as a layout and rendering engine. Goanna behaves
slightly differently than Gecko in certain respects and may result in
different display of web pages. e.g.: Goanna renders gradients in a more
accurate color space (non-premultiplied).
    Builds on UXP, our XUL platform in development. As such XUL is alive
and well in this browser and will not be deprecated.
    Has some long-standing known issues with the Mozilla code-base fixed
(e.g. CVE-2009-1232).
    Does not use Rust or the Photon user interface. You can expect a
familiar interface as-carried by Firefox between v29 and v56.
    Does not use Electrolysis (e10s, multi-process browsing).
    Does not require walled-garden extension signing.

A very sad "lack of feature" to me: Basilisk has *no* language supported but English!

IMHO the lack of other languages support but English is no sad at all. English is the natural computer language, hence if you're not able to manage English you're not able to manage computers.

I remember that many years ago someone at the university asked me to collaborate in a project whose goal was to "translate" Basic and Pascal statements. I declined.

Later on he presented his work as a successful project. Of course the "translated Basic" was "news" for a week or so, then faded out.

I know completely English-illiterate people capable to manage computers and even "read" English manuals. So I see no handicap at all?

Once the project is solid enough they will find people to provide other languages support.