Web lists-archives.com

Re: New browser from the devs of Palemoon

My bloviated meandering follows what Balaco graced us with on 11/22/2017 11:19 AM:
Em 22-11-2017 17:05, Balaco escreveu:
Em 22-11-2017 15:59, Sailfish escreveu:
My bloviated meandering follows what Balaco graced us with on 11/21/2017
1:39 PM:

<snip>

A very sad "lack of feature" to me: Basilisk has *no* language
supported but English!

Any one around here know I if can do a kind of "forced install" of a
Firefox translation into Basilisk? Finding the right version (or some
with enough compatibility) should not be too hard...

It is an arduous but conceivable task if Basilisk's underlying
architecture is somewhat similar to pre-Fx57's.

Note: I have no time nor desire to assist on this and fully acknowledge
that time spent on it may be wasted in the end. Also, my comments are
using a Windows system and its jargon, e.g., "\" instead of "/",
"folder" instead of "directory" AND locale=en-US, you would want to use
your local instead.

1. Navigate to your Fx installation folder, e.g. C:\Program
Files\Mozilla Firefox\
2. Navigate to its browser folder, C:\Program Files\Mozilla
Firefox\browser\ and note a file by the name omni.ja. This is simply a
renamed zip archive.
3. Copy and rename it, to say, omni.zip
4. Extract all the files to disired folder, say, c:\...\omniunzip\
5. From there, navigate to c:\...\omniunzip\chrome\en-US\locale\browser.

In this folder you'll notice a bunch of files with the *.dtd extension.
These are simply text files that can be edited with your favorite text
editor. Opening one, say, browser.dtd you will find entries like

<!ENTITY  reloadTab.label                    "Reload Tab">

the 1st field past the <!ENTITY tag defines the browser element and the
"some text" defines the its label.

Now, if (and that's a BIG if), Basilisk has a similar set of files,
conceivably, you could replace their text parts with that of your local,
for example.

<!ENTITY  reloadTab.label                    "Your translation">

This would need to be done with all of the *.dtd  files in the browser
folder, at a minimum. Then, once complete, rename the existing Basilisk
omni.ja file to, say, omniORIG.ja and then re-zip the edited omniunzip
folder contents and name it omni.ja and copy it to the Basilisk's
omni.ja folder.

Then comes the smoke test when you restart Basilisk. If things go awry.
You should be able to kill the Basilisk process and rename the edited
omni.ja to, say, omni_boo-boo.ja and rename omniORIG.ja back to omni.ja

I did say it would be arduous, no?

I have found something new. There is a "firefox-esr-l10n-pt-br" package
installed which contains the file:

/usr/lib/firefox-esr/browser/extensions/langpack-pt-BR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The important part of this path, for Windows users, is

[Firefox folder]
/browser/extensions/langpack-pt-BR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This file is only 420KiB, so the actual translation are in another place
(which I just asked, as you might have already read) ...

That XPI file (which is also a changed end zip file) contains "interesting" files:

browser/chrome/pt-BR/locale/branding/brand.dtd
  (...)
browser/chrome/pt-BR/locale/browser-region/region.properties
browser/chrome/pt-BR/locale/browser/aboutAccounts.dtd
  (...)
browser/chrome/pt-BR/locale/browser/newTab.dtd
  (...)
browser/chrome/pt-BR/locale/browser/preferences/translation.dtd
  (...)
browser/chrome/pt-BR/locale/pt-BR/devtools/client/VariablesView.dtd
  (...)
chrome/pt-BR/locale/pt-BR/alerts/alert.dtd
  (...)
chrome/pt-BR/locale/pt-BR/mozapps/extensions/newaddon.dtd
  (...)
chrome/pt-BR/locale/pt-BR/services/errors.properties
  (...)
chrome/pt-BR/locale/pt-BR/services/sync.properties
install.rdf

I am puzzled to find a reason why omni.ja is 13MiB and this XPI file is only 420KiB. Should I bet that both contain the same number of strings?

Yep, throw those dtd's into the "arduous" mix, too :-)

The chrome, jssubloader and modules are the largest consumers and they contain the actual browser code files.

--
Sailfish